Wrongful death is a legal term used to describe a death caused by the fault of another person. For example, deaths caused by car accidents, defective products, or a doctor’s mistake may be “wrongful deaths”.
Wrongful death lawsuits or claims are generally filed by family members or beneficiaries of the decedent. In some instances, these claims are filed in order to obtain monetary damages to cover the earnings the deceased person would have provided. Other damages that may be recovered include:
- Expenses associated with the death, e.g., medical and funeral.
- Lost benefits, such as insurance, from the death
- Loss of inheritance from an untimely death
- Pain, suffering or mental anguish suffered by the survivors of the decedent
- Loss of companionship, care or protection
At The Sokol Law Firm, we understand the pain associated with losing a loved one. It is particularly painful when the loss is due to a tragic accident or mistake. If a family member died due to the fault of someone else, we can help to make sure you receive the compensation that you are entitled to as the surviving family members.